In 1865, Privatier Matthäus Pfau opened the Schloss to the general public as a castle museum and art gallery – the first castle museum in Switzerland. Eduard Bodmer carried on this tradition until his death. In 1917, the Canton of Zurich bought the Kyburg back and set up an exhibition that remained in place until 1999.
Since then, the museum has been run by the Museum Schloss Kyburg Society, which put together a new permanent exhibition under the guidance of Dione Flühler-Kreis, opening in 1999. In 2001, the Garden of the High Bailiff's Wife was introduced, with cabbages and kale, herbs for seasoning and health purposes and decorative flowers. The exhibition was given a "special commendation" award by the European Museum Forum in 2002.
Schloss Kyburg will become even more attractive from 2016 to 2019. The permanent exhibition will be renovated, providing greater insight into the history of the castle and the people who ruled from here. The infrastructure for visitors is also to be improved. However, the Schloss will remain open to visitors throught the renovation period. Some individual rooms may be closed. → Further information about the "More KYBURG" project
Museum management: Ueli Stauffacher, Silvia Schlegel
Administration and commumications: Anne-Marie Weder
Funds/supervision: Ilana Fisler, Martin Minder, Uli Kinder
Museum technology: Ralph Dütsch
Garden: Nadja Röther
Castle maintenance assistants: Wolfgang Dobesch, Urs Kaufmann
Cleaning: Selvete Qafleshi
Tour guides: Uli Kinder, Ursina Klauser, Ursina Largiadèr, Barbara Scherrer, Christa Mathis, Martin Minder, Bettina Schöller